There are 36 million people in the world today who are blind – but many don’t need to be. The Fred Hollows Foundation (founded in Australia four years ago) focusses on preventable and treatable diseases such as cataract, trachoma and diabetic retinopathy.
Their charitable, in-country work involves local training and the provision of affordable technology, so doctors, nurses and health care workers can recognise, diagnose, refer and treat eye problems in their communities. The Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) uses research to improve the understanding of avoidable blindness, then use their findings to implement strategies and advocate for change.
Denim Expert Ltd. under the guidance of our managing director MD Mostafiz Uddin are determined to investigate pioneering approaches to improve the health and safety standards for all of our employees.
As a part of these initiatives, the company has recently partnered with the FHF to help with the integration and establishment of a well equipped eye care centre within our existing company medical care centre facilities.
The FHF has provided the company with the following support in establishing the eye care centre at Denim Expert Ltd.:
The provision of a wide variety of eye care equipment, including:
- An auto refractometer, a computer-controlled machine that objectively determines the refractive error and necessary prescription for glasses during an eye test.
- A trial lens set box, a digital LED vision monitor, a selection of free spectacle frames, retinoscopy vision chart for each floor of the factory premises and prescription pads, referral slips & registers for the clinic and the factory’s women’s health coordinators.
- Training for the doctors and nurses at Denim Expert Ltd.
- FHF co-ordinated a five day training programme, provided by their eye specialist, to the company’s medical centre doctors and nurses, to enable them to be able to provide fully-fledged eye care treatment to all of our 2000 employees at the factory premises.
- FHF worked with the in-house medical centre team to establish a system of periodic monitoring to ensure an effective eye quality refractive errors service for all of our employees.
Our managing director, MD Mostafiz Uddin values the health and well-being of all members of the Denim Expert Ltd. family and we would like to thank the Fred Hollows Foundation for helping us establish our new eye care centre which will benefit all employees at the company and help us to ensure that all our colleagues can maintain the valuable gift of sight.